This week: Important Messages, A Message from Jeff Friedman, Week 4 Ballet & Technique Rotation Schedule, Casting Policy, Reminders, Audition Opportunities, Student Opportunities, Health & Wellness, Mason Gross Student Government Association, & Friday’s Rotation Schedule.
- Soma Center: No Pilates Sessions on Wednesday, October 3rd. Sessions will resume on Wednesday, October 10th
- Ballet Hispanico: BFA, BA, EdM, and MFA students are encouraged but not required to see the Ballet Hispanico performance on 10/11 at The State Theater in New Brunswick. Students wishing to attend should purchase tickets directly from the State Theater box office on Livingston Ave. Be sure to ask about the State’s student discount option!
- Attention BFA Students: MGSGA (Mason Gross Student Government Association) provides 1 FREE Round Trip Bus Ticket to NYC per academic year to each BFA Dance Student. You must request a ticket at least 2 weeks before you need to use the ticket. Please contact Karolina Holmstrom, Jessica Michal or Gillian Popano for ticket request
- Dance Assembly: This is just a friendly reminder that the use of electronic devices is not permitted during Dance Assembly, unless students are directed to utilize them by the assembly facilitator.
- Footwear: Please do not forget to have shoes on when walking around the building
A Message from Jeff Friedman
On Wednesday, October 3rd, the IANR (International Association of Neurorestoratology) Conference will be held in the Livingston Student Center. More importantly, the conference organizers have invited the Dance Department to present some performances for the scientists.
This is a great opportunity for the Dance Department, especially the Dance & Parkinson’s program.
For this event, we would like to have 4 to 6 BFA students at the Dinner and Celebration, that starts at 6:30pm and then work with our Dance & Parkinson’s program at 7:30pm for about 5 minutes.
Please email inquires to firstname.lastname@example.org
Week 4 Ballet & Technique
Changes to the Casting Policy are below:
The department received requests from undergraduate students for clarification regarding participating in MFA works in relation to the existing department policy on casting. After discussion, the Dance Executive Committee voted in agreement on the following:
First, casting in graduate works (MFA and EdM) is and will be in the future, included in the casting policy. In order to accommodate this, the casting policy will be amended as follows:
- BFA First and Second Year Students: May participate in 6 total works for the year if one (or more) work is a graduate work. The limit for participating in undergraduate works is 5 total for the year.
- BFA Third and Fourth Year Students: May participate in 7 total works for the year if one (or more) work is a graduate work. The limit for participating in undergraduate works only is 6 total for the year.
- Any students currently at the limit of participation (5 pieces for first and second year, 6 for third and fourth year), may choose to participate in one additional graduate work only. Students may not add another undergraduate student work to their work load.
ATTENTION 1ST AND 2ND YEAR BFA STUDENTS
Please inform your non-dance professors about conflicts with tech, dress and performances. It is your responsibility to let your instructors know ASAP of any possible conflicts.
Also, feel free to invite your professors to the performances!
Fall 2018 Performances:
- BFA Senior Solo and Duet Concert
- Only Seniors in Choreo 3 class
- BFA Rep students
- MFA Rep students
- Student concert
- Junior Choreo students & other student work pieces (by audition only)
For those of you who are interested in purchasing tickets for Ballet Hispanico, please get in contact with the State Theater.
Also, please remember that this performance is only mandatory for those who are in Dance Appreciation. This is NOT a required performance for BFA students.
Springboard will be accepting applications from October 1st – December 1st, 2018
Dancer Auditions via Mail – If you are unable to attend the live auditions above
Congratulations to the Newly Elected 2018-2019 Rutgers NDEO Student Organization Officers!
Parent and Family Weekend October 5th – October 7th
Parent and Family Weekend will be held from Friday, October 5th to Sunday, October 7th. Rutgers has offered different family friendly activities each day including deals on Dinning Services, Recreation, and Rutgers Tech Store.
Student Appreciation Week at NYC Dance Arts – Edison, NJ
NYCDA is hosting their 4th Annual Student Appreciation Week. On October 1st and October 5th, they will be hosting FREE Dance Classes for College Students. In order to participate, you MUST BRING YOUR STUDENT ID
Rutgers Learning Centers:
The GRE Workshop Series is a FREE workshop that is open to all students and will be offered in 2 cylces in the month of October and November. The series will cover Quantitative Reasoning, Verbal Reasoning, and Analytical Writing.
Space for this workshop is limited. Please visit Rutgers Learning Centers to register
Health & Wellness
Annual Flu Shot
Rutgers Counseling, ADP, & Psychiatric Services (CAPS)
Free mindfulness meditation workshops for students, faculty and staff members each week at 12pm during our lunch break period.
*No Pilates Sessions on Wednesday, October 3rd. Sessions will resume on Wednesday, October 10th*
BFA and BA majors are invited to sign up for free Pilates Reformer small group sessions in the Dance Department Soma Center. Students can sign up for a once-a-week, hour-long session. Sessions are available Tuesdays and Wednesdays 4-7pm, and begin on Tuesday, Sept. 11th. The sign-up sheet for the first half of Fall semester is posted outside the Soma Center, and sign-up is on a first-come basis. Reformer classes are a wonderful opportunity to supplement your dance training, so please take advantage of this opportunity if your schedule permits.
Student Government Association
Friday’s Rotation Schedule
Have an Announcement?