This week: Important Messages, Week 7 Ballet & Technique Schedule, Reminders, Student Opportunities, Spotlights, Health & Wellness, Fridays Rotation Schedule, & Announcements/Shutouts!
- Health & Wellness:
- ALL STUDENTS are responsible for informing their instructors 24 hours in advance if you are meeting with Hollie during class time. If you schedule an appointment with Hollie during class time and do not receive approval from your instructor to be excused from class, you will receive an absence.
- Students should be taking their schedules into consideration when making an appointment with Hollie.
- Campus Information Services
- Road Closures due to the JDRF One Walk Charity Event on Cook/Douglas from 8am to approximately 12pm. To view all the road closures, visit Rutgers JDRF Event
Week 7 Ballet & Technique Schedule
Scholarship for Continuing Students
The NEW Scholarship Application is now available! This application is for students who wish to be considered for NEW scholarship money in ADDITION to any awards or loans you are already receiving. For PRIORITY consideration, please make sure your complete application is received in hard copy by the Dean’s Office by December 1st, 2018 (mailed submissions postmarked by December 1st will be considered priority).
* EMAILED SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!*
SENIORS: To ensure each student is aware of their remaining requirements, Mandy Feiler – Dean of Students and Alexis White – Student Affairs Coordinator, are requiring that each graduating student schedule and attend a Senior Review Check-In by Friday, October 26th, 2018.
Failure to attend a meeting by October 26th, will result in your spring registration being held until the meeting is held. Please email email@example.com in order to schedule a meeting with Alexis White. Dean Feiler will be available to meet with students during her regular drop-in hours at the start of the fall semester. No appointment necessary.
Important Drop/Add Registration Dates:
- Monday, October 8th: Spring 2019 schedule of classes will be available
- Sunday, October 28th: Pre-registration starts
- The minimum credit limit for MGSA undergraduates is 12.0, the maximum credit limit during unrestricted add/drop is 20.0 and the maxiumum credit limit: first day of the new semester is 24.0
- Schedule grids by year will be posted outside of Studio 110 in the upcoming week. Please check your Rutgers emails for any financial hold notifications. The notifications would be: MyRutgers Alert: Notification of Financial Hold. Check your spam folders for this notification as well. IF YOU HAVE A FINANCIAL HOLD, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REGISTER
- Monday, October 29th: Drop period WITH a “W” grade
- Monday, November 26th: Last day to withdraw from school – End of the 12th week
Rutgers Office of Financial Aid
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) is now available
- File before the January 15, 2019 deadline to ensure that you are consider for all available aid
Please join us for ABT Day on Sunday October 28, 2018! Mason Gross Extension Division is excited to announce a day-long event consisting of workshops and master classes for dancers of all ages. Classes will be presented by American Ballet Theatre’s Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School of Ballet distinguished faculty members including Cynthia Harvey, Robert La Fosse, and Richard Toda in addition to members of the Rutgers University ABT Certified School of Ballet faculty. Dancers from the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School of Ballet will also perform a lecture demonstration as the culminating event of the day!
This event celebrates dancers ages 4 through collegiate and graduate students, providing the opportunity to experience state of the art, age-appropriate instruction utilizing ABT’s National Training Curriculum. Parents and instructors will also get the opportunity to learn first-hand about ABT’s unique curriculum through class observation.
Current MGSA Students, please fill out THIS FORM to reserve space in preferred offerings.
CWAH Dance & Philosophy Annual Lecture
This is a mandatory event for all first – year MFA students. All BFA Seniors and Crew involved in tech on November 5th are excused from this lecture. All other BFA students are required to attend.
Mason Gross Student Government Association
Happening this Monday, October 22nd at 8:30pm!
*First 25 Students receive a free bus ticket!*
Springboard Danse and Gibney are hosting a Fall Weekend Intensive, which will take place on November 17th & 18th, 2018 from 10am – 6pm
For this intensive, there are NO Auditions! Registration is $335.00
The workshops and showings will have Springboard artists Sidra Bell, Peter Chu & Shamel Pitts
Space is limited. To register, visit SpringboardX
*Special discount for the first 20 Springboard alumni*
Location: Gibney 280 Broadway, NYC
92Y’s Winter Dance Intensive
92Y’s hosting its FIRST Winter Intensive, which will be held from January 14th – January 18th, 2019! Classes, workshops and performances are by Kendra Portier, Adam Barruch, Netta Yerushalmy, MADBOOTS DANCE, and The Lovelies
This Winter Intensive is a collaboration between 92Y’s Center for Arts Learning & Leadership & Harkness Dance Center
If you register by November 1st registration is only $395 and registration thru December 15th is $445
To Register or to find out more visit 92y.org
*This is during the last week of Rutgers’ Winter Session*
This weeks spotlights will feature First-year student: Brieanna Serafin, Part-time Lecturer: Laurel Snyder, Accompanists: Dominic Palombi and BFA Alum: Shakira. These features will also be on our Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages, so be sure to give the posts a thumbs up!
“Choosing Mason Gross wasn’t easy. I applied to about 10 schools, all with very different programs. But when I danced here for my audition it just felt right. Rutgers has everything I wanted – the big school feel with an amazing conservatory where I can pursue my passion”. – Brieanna Serafin, First Year BFA Student
Since receiving her BFA in Dance from NYU Tisch School of the Arts in 2009, Laurel Snyder has performed with artists Faye Driscoll, Tere O’Connor, Tatyana Tenenbaum and Kendra Portier at NYC venues such as BAM, the Chocolate Factory, Danspace Project, and the Kitchen.
Her newest interdisciplinary collaboration with Adam Schatz and Emma Judkins, LOOP will take place at the Footlight, a bar and performance venue in Ridgewood, Queens, NY on November 30-December 2, 2018
Dominic Palombi, drummer, composer, educator, pianist, and band leader has been thriving on the music lifestyle since the young age of 10. Dom received his bachelors degree in Jazz Performance at Mason Gross School of the Arts in 2016, and he is currently leadin his visions with his group, “The Dom Palombi Project“, rangin in originals, popular tunes, and “funkifing” classic jazz standards as well as pursuing other projeccts such as: Dance Accompanist at Drew University & Worship Drummer/Pianist at Liberty Corner Presbyterian Church in Liberty Corner, NJ.
Health & Wellness
How to make an appointment with Hollie
- Go to NB Student Health Portal
- Use your Net ID and password to log in. Your screen should look like this: 3. To schedule an appointment with Hollie, click on Messages (its the 6th icon between Required Forms and Education):
- Next, click on Compose New:
- Then in the drop down, scroll until you see Hollie Palmisano AT and select it. Next you can put the subject of your message in the subject area and type your message to Hollie in the message area. When finished click submit.
Rutgers Health Services
BFA and BA majors are invited to sign up for free Pilates Reformer small group sessions in the Dance Department Soma Center. Students can sign up for a once-a-week, hour-long session. Sessions are available Tuesdays and Wednesdays 4-7pm, and begin on Tuesday, Sept. 11th. The sign-up sheet for the first half of Fall semester is posted outside the Soma Center, and sign-up is on a first-come basis. Reformer classes are a wonderful opportunity to supplement your dance training, so please take advantage of this opportunity if your schedule permits.
Fridays Rotation Schedule
Announcements & Shout outs
Shout out to BFA student, Imani Shivers, as she makes her HYSTERIKA JAZZ DANCE debut at the JCE JAZZ DANCE PROJECT! One of the featured cheorographers for this performance is our very own, Barbara Angeline. To purchase tickets for this event that will take place on Saturday, October 27th at 8pm, visit JCE JAZZ DANCE PROJECT
Location: Salvatore Capezio Theater at Peridance
Faculty member, Chien-ying Wang & Part-time Lecturer Paul Ocampo cordially invite all students, facutly member, part-time lecturers and accompanists to see their dance company, OcampoWang Dance perform at The Dance Gallery Festival. This will take place at the Gelsey Kirkland Arts Center on Friday, November 2nd at 7pm. General Admissions to this event is $20.
To purchase tickets, visit The Dance Gallery Festival 2018