This week: Important Messages, Week 8 Ballet & Technique Schedule, Reminders, Student Opportunities, Spotlights, Health & Wellness, Fridays Rotation Schedule, & Announcements/Shout-outs!
- On Wednesday 10/31, there will be a MANDATORY Dance Assembly for BFA First-years and Sophomores about Studying Abroad
- Representatives from RU Global, BFA Alumni, and Paul Bloom from DanceJerusalem will be our special guest. Please come prepared with your Study Abroad Questions
- BFA Juniors and Seniors are excused from attending
Language Matters Workshop
- On Monday 11/05 All Students are required to attend the Language Matters Workshop hosted by the Center for Social Justice during Technique class
- 1st years & Sophomores will be in Studio 110
- Juniors & Seniors will be in Studio 112
- The Rutgers Office of Secretary are now accepting commencement speaker and honorary degree nominations for the 2020 commencement ceremony!
- Nominations for the May 2020 Commencement will be accepted until November 30th, 2018
- If you would like to submit your nominations, please visit May 2020 Commencement Speaker and Honorary Degrees Nominations
Week 8 Ballet & Technique Schedule
Please join us for ABT Day this Sunday October 28, 2018! Mason Gross Extension Division is excited to announce a day-long event consisting of workshops and master classes for dancers of all ages. Classes will be presented by American Ballet Theatre’s Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School of Ballet distinguished faculty members including Cynthia Harvey, Robert La Fosse, and Richard Toda in addition to members of the Rutgers University ABT Certified School of Ballet faculty. Dancers from the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School of Ballet will also perform a lecture demonstration as the culminating event of the day!
This event celebrates dancers ages 4 through collegiate and graduate students, providing the opportunity to experience state of the art, age-appropriate instruction utilizing ABT’s National Training Curriculum. Parents and instructors will also get the opportunity to learn first-hand about ABT’s unique curriculum through class observation.
Current MGSA Students, please fill out THIS FORM to reserve space in preferred offerings.
CWAH Dance & Philosophy Annual Lecture
This is a mandatory event for all first – year MFA students. All BFA Seniors and Crew involved in tech on November 5th are excused from this lecture. All other BFA students are required to attend.
If you have a class during this time frame, please get in contact with Elaine Chu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Scholarship for Continuing Students
The NEW Scholarship Application is now available! This application is for students who wish to be considered for NEW scholarship money in ADDITION to any awards or loans you are already receiving. For PRIORITY consideration, please make sure your complete application is received in hard copy by the Dean’s Office by December 1st, 2018 (mailed submissions postmarked by December 1st will be considered priority).
* EMAILED SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!*
SENIORS: To ensure each student is aware of their remaining requirements, Mandy Feiler – Dean of Students and Alexis White – Student Affairs Coordinator, are requiring that each graduating student schedule and attend a Senior Review Check-In by Friday, October 26th, 2018.
Failure to attend a meeting by October 26th, will result in your spring registration being held until the meeting is held. Please email email@example.com in order to schedule a meeting with Alexis White. Dean Feiler will be available to meet with students during her regular drop-in hours at the start of the fall semester. No appointment necessary.
Important Drop/Add Registration Dates:
- Monday, October 8th: Spring 2019 schedule of classes will be available
- Sunday, October 28th: Pre-registration starts
- The minimum credit limit for MGSA undergraduates is 12.0, the maximum credit limit during unrestricted add/drop is 20.0 and the maximum credit limit: first day of the new semester is 24.0
- Schedule grids by year will be posted outside of Studio 110 in the upcoming week. Please check your Rutgers emails for any financial hold notifications. The notifications would be: MyRutgers Alert: Notification of Financial Hold. Check your spam folders for this notification as well. IF YOU HAVE A FINANCIAL HOLD, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REGISTER
- Monday, October 29th: Drop period WITH a “W” grade
- Monday, November 26th: Last day to withdraw from school – End of the 12th week
Rutgers Office of Financial Aid
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) is now available
- File before the January 15, 2019 deadline to ensure that you are considered for all available aid
Yin Yue Dance Company
FOFO Technique Winter Workshop will take place at the Mark Morris Dance Center on December 18th – December 20th, 2018 from 11am – 2pm. Dancers will have the option to register for individual workshops or for the 3-day workshop. To find out how to register, visit YYDC Winter Workshop
*Yin Yue is one of our choreographers for DancePlus this semester*
The School at Jacob’s Pillow – Summer Intensive
The School at Jacob’s Pillow will be offering “six distinct programs where performers and choreographers” will have an opportunity to work on/work with “Contemporary Ballet (June 10th – June 23rd), Flamenco (June 24th – July 7th), Contemporary Tap (July 8th – July 28th), The Ann & Weston Hicks Choreography Fellows Program (July 29th – August 19th), and Art of Photography Dance (August 20th – August 30th)”.
Program and Scholarship Application will be available on December 3rd, 2018
Deadline to apply for Priority Consideration for Contemporary Ballet – January 10th, 2019 at 4pm EST
Deadline to apply for Priority Consideration for All Other Programs – February 21st, 2019 at 4pm EST
To learn more information on how to register and about all six programs, visit The School at Jacob’s Pillow
Elisa Monte Dance
Registration for the Elisa Monte Dance Series is open now! During this summer intensive dancers will be able to efficiently train in ballet, modern, contemporary, and company repertory, participate in seminars, talk backs and Q & A’s and a private performance from Elisa Monte Dance. This intensive will take place at Lake Placid School of the Arts and will be from July 22nd to August 5th of 2019. To find out more information on how to register go to Elisa Monte Dance Summer Series
This weeks spotlights will feature Transfer/Junior student: Jennifer Wrede, Part-time Lecturer: Alexandra Beller, and Accompanist: Tom Getty. These features will also be on our Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages, so be sure to give the posts a thumbs up!
If you would like to be featured in next weeks Newsletter, please send an email to Syde Orange at firstname.lastname@example.org with a few pictures and a brief biography.
Jennifer Wrede is a transfer student/junior in the BFA Dance Program at MGSA. One of her main projects this semester is expanding on her creative process, particularly in choreography.
Alexandra Beller, Artistic Director of Alexandra Beller/Dances, (2002-present), was a member of the Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company from 1995-2001 and has danced in over 50 countries and throughout the US. Alexandra has created over 40 original Dance Theatre works, both for her own and other companies. Her choreography has been presented at/commissioned by Dance Theater Workshop, 92nd St. Y, Aaron Davis Hall, Danspace Project at St. Mark’s, Abron’s Art Center, Joyce SoHo, P.S. 122, WAX, HERE, The Connelly Theater, SUNY Purchase College, Dance New Amsterdam, Symphony Space, and Jacob’s Pillow and has been commissioned by companies in Korea, Hong Kong, Oslo, Cyprus, and the US. Alexandra has also choreographed for numerous Theatre companies as well.
Alexandra currently holds a BFA in Dance, MFA in Choreography, and a CMA (Certified Movement Analyst) in Laban Movement Analysis and Bartenieff Fundamentals. She develops and teaches courses in Laban Movement Analysis, Bartenieff Fundamentals, Directing, Dramaturgy, Choreography, Pedagogy, Dance Production, and Career Mentorship through Alexandra Beller/Dances throughout the year. For more info, visit Alexandra Beller Dances
Tom Getty, is currently one of our ballet accompanist! Recently has been appointed as the Director of the Tyler Young Artists Program, Opera on the James. In addition, he his the Assistant Conductor and Surtitlist for Central City Opera in Central City, Colorado, a freelance audition accompanist for opera auditions in NYC and was formally the accompanist for the Princeton Ballet School and the American Repertory Ballet.
Tom holds a Bachelors of Music in Piano Performance from the Mason Gross School of the Arts (wooh!) and a Masters of Music in Coaching and Accompanying from Westminster Choir College at Rider University.
Health & Wellness
How to make an appointment with Hollie
- Go to NB Student Health Portal
- Use your Net ID and password to log in. Your screen should look like this: 3. To schedule an appointment with Hollie, click on Messages (its the 6th icon between Required Forms and Education):
- Next, click on Compose New:
- Then in the drop down, scroll until you see Hollie Palmisano AT and select it. Next you can put the subject of your message in the subject area and type your message to Hollie in the message area. When finished click submit.
Rutgers Health Services
BFA and BA majors are invited to sign up for free Pilates Reformer small group sessions in the Dance Department Soma Center. Students can sign up for a once-a-week, hour-long session. Sessions are available Tuesdays and Wednesdays 4-7pm, and begin on Tuesday, Sept. 11th. The sign-up sheet for the first half of Fall semester is posted outside the Soma Center, and sign-up is on a first-come basis. Reformer classes are a wonderful opportunity to supplement your dance training, so please take advantage of this opportunity if your schedule permits.
Friday’s Rotation Schedule
Congratulations to the Mason Gross Dance students and alumnae who participated in the August Polestar Pilates Teacher Training and were recently awarded certificates in Polestar Pilates Principles of Movement, Polestar Pilates Mat Level 1 and Polestar Pilates Mat Level 2:
Jeeseon Chung, Lindsey Della Serra, Garamh Kim, Jacquelyn Michaels, Eunseo Park, Francisca Quintanilla, and Julia Sprung
Faculty member, Chien-ying Wang & Part-time Lecturer Paul Ocampo cordially invite all students, faculty member, part-time lecturers and accompanist to see their dance company, OcampoWang Dance perform at The Dance Gallery Festival. This will take place at the Gelsey Kirkland Arts Center on Friday, November 2nd at 7pm. General Admissions to this event is $20.
To purchase tickets, visit The Dance Gallery Festival 2018
Steffanie Bland Batten is offering discounted tickets to Eve’s Song. The showings for Eve’s Song is from November 7th to December 19th, 2018.
To get a discounted rate, students will need to show their Rutgers ID and state that they are a SBB stuudent at the door.
If a group of 10 or more would like to attend, please send an email to Kate Longosky at email@example.com
For more information about Eve’s Song, visit Public Theater – Eve’s Song