This week: Important Messages, Week 9 Ballet & Technique Schedule, Reminders, Student Opportunities, Spotlights, Health & Wellness, Fridays Rotation Schedule, & Announcements/Shout-outs!
Language Matters Workshop
- On Monday 11/05 All BFA Students are required to attend the Language Matters Workshop hosted by the Center for Social Justice during Technique class
- 1st years & Sophomores will be in Studio 110
- Juniors & Seniors will be in Studio 112
Fall Concert Auditions
- Monday, November 5th is the last day to sign up for mandatory warmups if you are auditioning for the Fall Concert on Wednesday, November 7th. Please sign up no later than 12:30pm
- On Wednesday, November 7th, Modern Technique (9:45am-11:30am) will be cancelled due to auditions.
CWAH Dance & Philosophy Annual Lecture
- The Dr. Ann Cooper Albright Lecture will take place on Monday, November 5th at 7:30pm
- This is a mandatory event for all BFA students and first-year MFA students. All BFA Seniors and Crew involved in tech on the 5th are excused from this lecture.
- If you have a class during this time frame, please get in contact with Elaine Chu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
BFA Senior Solo/Duet Concert Tickets
All BFA students: Please make sure that you change the default email on the Dance Assembly Canvas site. Canvas is were you will be notified on when to selected the performance you would like to attend
If you have a conflict, you can either swap tickets with your peers or exchange your ticket at the Box Office for $3
Please refer to the Student Handbook on Student Ticket Policies
You must pick up your ticket by 12:30pm on Monday, November 5th
Don’t forget to vote on November 6th! To find your polling place, visit RU Voting
Week 9 Ballet & Technique Schedule
Casting in graduate works (MFA & EdM) is and will be in the future, included in the casting policy. In order to accommodate this, the casting policy will be amended as follows:
- BFA First & Second Year Students: May participate in 6 total works for the year if one (or more) work is a graduate work. The limit for participating in undergraduate works is 5 total for the year. No more than 3 works for any one concert.
- BFA Third & Fourth Year Students: May participate in 7 total works for the year if one (or more) work s a graduate work. The limit for participating in undergraduate works only is 6 total for the year. No more than 4 in one concert.
- Any student current at the limit of participation (5 pieces for first and second year, 6 for third and fourth year), may choose to participate in one additional graduate work only. Students may not add another undergraduate work to their load.
Study Abroad – Trinity Laban Information Session
On Friday, November 16th from 11:30am – 12:30pm (Lunch Break), there will be a study abroad information session on Trinity Laban. Pizza will be provided!
This is a mandatory event for first and second year BFA students and attendance will be taken
New Student Orientation & Family Programs
Interested in being an Orientation Leader for the Summer 2019? Attend one of the sessions above to find out more information on how to apply.
The perks of being an Orientation Leader
- Paid position from April 2019 – August 2019
- Housing accommodations in the Livingston Apartments
- Meals during the program sessions
- Mentoring form professional staff members
Scholarship for Continuing Students
The NEW Scholarship Application is now available! This application is for students who wish to be considered for NEW scholarship money in ADDITION to any awards or loans you are already receiving. For PRIORITY consideration, please make sure your complete application is received in hard copy by the Dean’s Office by December 1st, 2018 (mailed submissions postmarked by December 1st will be considered priority).
* EMAILED SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!*
SENIORS: To ensure each student is aware of their remaining requirements, Mandy Feiler – Dean of Students and Alexis White – Student Affairs Coordinator, are requiring that each graduating student schedule and attend a Senior Review Check-In by Friday, October 26th, 2018.
Failure to attend a meeting by October 26th, will result in your spring registration being held until the meeting is held. Please email email@example.com in order to schedule a meeting with Alexis White. Dean Feiler will be available to meet with students during her regular drop-in hours at the start of the fall semester. No appointment necessary.
Important Drop/Add Registration Dates:
- Monday, October 8th: Spring 2019 schedule of classes will be available
- Sunday, October 28th: Pre-registration starts
- The minimum credit limit for MGSA undergraduates is 12.0, the maximum credit limit during unrestricted add/drop is 20.0 and the maximum credit limit: first day of the new semester is 24.0
- Schedule grids by year will be posted outside of Studio 110 in the upcoming week. Please check your Rutgers emails for any financial hold notifications. The notifications would be: MyRutgers Alert: Notification of Financial Hold. Check your spam folders for this notification as well. IF YOU HAVE A FINANCIAL HOLD, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REGISTER
- Monday, October 29th: Drop period WITH a “W” grade
- Monday, November 26th: Last day to withdraw from school – End of the 12th week
Rutgers Office of Financial Aid
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) is now available
- File before the January 15, 2019 deadline to ensure that you are considered for all available aid
- The Rutgers Office of Secretary are now accepting commencement speaker and honorary degree nominations for the 2020 commencement ceremony!
- Nominations for the May 2020 Commencement will be accepted until November 30th, 2018
- If you would like to submit your nominations, please visit May 2020 Commencement Speaker and Honorary Degrees Nominations
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
On Wednesday, November 7th at the Hearst Dance Theater at Princeton University, Robert Battle, the Artistic Director of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater will be conducting an open rehearsal and conversation for free.
Open rehearsal: 5:30pm – 6:15pm
Conversation: 6:30pm – 7:15pm
For more information, visit Lewis Arts Complex at Princeton University
Rutgers Students are offered discount tickets to the KYL/D’s 10th Anniversary performance. The performance will be on Friday, November 9th starting at 8pm and Saturday, November 10th starting at 2:30pm and 8pm
Student tickets are $20 and can be purchased on Dance Box Office website
Cincinnati Ballet Summer Intensive
Cincinnati Ballet is traveling to cities across the nation to scout talented dancers for their Summer Intensive and Collegiate Intensive programs.
To audition or to find about more information about both Intensive which run from June 17th – July 26th, 2019, visit Cincinnati Ballet Summer Dance Programs
This weeks spotlights will feature 1st year: Emily Penkethman, MFA Student: Kiri Avelar, and Part-time Lecturer: Robert Mark Burke These features will also be on our Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages, so be sure to give the posts a thumbs up!
“I chose Mason Gross because from the second I walked in it just felt right. I felt like I needed to be a part of this amazing community of artists. I could picture myself growing as not only an artist but also as an individual with the constant support of the amazing faculty and fellow dancers. My advice to my fellow classmates is to live in the moment and to not take a single second for granted! Things aren’t always easy but that’s the way it should be. Life isn’t going to be handed to you so stay strong because anything is possible if you put your mind to it! ” – Emily Penkethman, BFA Student
Kiri Avelar, is currently in the MFA Dance program here at Mason Gross and holds a BA in Dance with honors from New Mexico State University. Her training includes ballet, Clasico Espanol, Latin American and Spanish folkloric forms, flamenco, jazz, and modern dance. Not only is she teaching here, she is currently, the Associate School Director at Ballet Hispanico School of Dance and is the Founding Director of the Academia de Ballet Emmanuel in Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico.
MFA Thesis: El Descubrimiento: The Latinx Presence in American Modern Dance
Check out her website for more! (Kiri Avelar)
Since graduating from Mason Gross School of the Arts, Robert Mark Burke has been seen touring and performing across the globe from the Cayman Islands, to Europe, to Abu Dhabi. He has performed on major stages and incredibly venues such as the Lourve- Abu Dhabi. He can be seen performing with 10 Hairy Legs, Megan Williams Dance Projects, and Lucinda Childs Dance Company, as well as creating his own work with Robert Mark Dance. Currently he is gearing up for performances with the Lucinda Childs Dance Company at the Museum of Modern Art for the Judson Dance Theater Exhibit. www.robertmarkdance.org
If you would like to be featured in next weeks Newsletter, please send an email to Syde Orange at firstname.lastname@example.org with a few pictures and a brief biography.
Health & Wellness
Rutgers Health Services
MFA, EdM, BFA, BA majors and Dance Minors are invited to sign up for free Pilates Reformer small group sessions in the Dance Department Soma Center. Students can sign up for a once-a-week, hour-long session. Sessions are available Tuesdays and Wednesdays 4-7pm, and begin on Tuesday, Nov. 6th. The sign-up sheet for the second half of Fall semester is posted outside the Soma Center, and sign-up is on a first-come basis. Reformer classes are a wonderful opportunity to supplement your dance training, so please take advantage of this opportunity if your schedule permits.
Friday’s Rotation Schedule
Announcements & Shout-outs!
New Jersey’s Modern Dance Festival
Mason Gross Opera Theater
Congrats to MFA Dance Student, Elizabeth Malone, who is the choreographer for Opera Theaters performance Reflections on the American Dream
To attend, student tickets are $5 and Rutgers Alumni/Employees are $10
The Dance Gallery Festival
Come out and support Chien-Ying and Paul as their dance company performances at the Dance Gallery Festival from November 2nd to November 4th. To purchase tickets, visit The Dance Gallery